It is not a secret that Latvia is not suitable place for growing such popular and all-favorite products like mango and papaya, melon and watermelon, and many others. That’s why we used to buy a lot of imported fruits and also berries, but we forget about many other valuable plants that are grown in Latvia and are well known for their medical benefits.
Sea-buckthorn season has already started and it will last until October. Don’t miss the opportunity to stock up sea-buckthorn berries and leaves for the winter. You can freeze them or make jam or syrup, as well as eat them fresh or use in cooking while they are available fresh in the market.
Sea-buckthorn berries are acidic and have quite specific taste. These are not strawberries, which you can eat just plain as snack in front of the TV. But what to do with them? If you are wondering how to cook these berries to enjoy the taste and get all the benefits, read the article below.
These berries are actually considered to be a superfruits due to their unbelievable concentration of nutrients, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and organic acids, including flavonoids, phenolics, amino acids, carotenoids, that makes buckthorn berries extremely versatile in the treatment of various health conditions and illnesses. The oil extracted from the seeds has been used to treat injuries and skin conditions. The versatile berries are higher than both fish and macadamia nuts in Omega 7 fatty acids.
- Buckthorn berry juice has been found to be extremely valuable in cancer prevention and treatment. The organic components of buckthorn berry have a high antioxidant content, which helps neutralize free radicals, the dangerous byproducts of cellular metabolism.
- Buckthorn berry improve the health of the skin, strength of bones, and the resilience of your gums and teeth. Vitamin C-rich buckthorn plays an integral part in the formation of collagen, which is a crucial component of growth and repair throughout the body. Therefore, the high of vitamin C in buckthorn berry makes it an all-around body booster that helps speed wound healing and recovery from injuries.
- Carotenoids are important antioxidants found in buckthorn berry that can protect your vision in a major way. Carotenoids slow down the progression of macular degeneration and prevent the development of cataracts, in addition to improving night vision.
- High levels of vitamin C in buckthorn berry can help increase the uptake of iron by the body, thereby ensuring a high, steady blood flow, as iron is a key ingredient in red blood cells.
- If you suffer from upset stomach or gastric distress of any kind, buckthorn berry juice can relieve discomfort and prevent inflammation. The anti- capacity of this berry also helps relieve joint pain and sore muscles.
- For those seeking younger-looking skin, or who want to eliminate age spots and wrinkles, the free radical-neutralizing antioxidants in buckthorn berry are perfect. Drinking buckthorn berry juice, adding the concentrated oil to other foods, or eating the berries themselves helps to stay young.
I have collected several ideas and recipes for you.