Baobab is a very powerful plant! If I hadn’t come to Cape Verde by chance one month ago, I wouldn’t have known about Baobab anything. I have run into the baobab in the market in Cape Verde at the
Did you know that the colours of fruits and vegetables are the result of certain antioxidants, phytonutrients and nutrients they contain?
Consumption of fruits and vegetables varieties helps to insure that you get enough of different nutrients you need for good health.
What exactly these colours mean?
Blue and Purple fruits and veggies contains anthocyanin, which is good for heart.
Green leafy veggies are rich in chlorophyll as well as isothiocyanates. These reduce carcinogenic agents from the liver.
Green and Yellow are rich in lutein which is very important for eye health, especially necessary for the elderly people to prevent age related macular degeneration. Some are also rich in vitamin C.
Red are rich in Lycopene. It is a powerful antioxidant for preventing cancer and heart attacks. Useful for protecting prostate health and maintaining the breast tissue. Red fruits and vegetables are also rich in flavonoids, resveratrol and vitamin C, as well as folates.
Yellow and Orange are Carotenoids or beta carotene. Extremely rich in vitamin A and retinol, which is needed for acne and wrinkle prevention. Vitamin A is needed for strong immune function and healthy vision. Also useful in preventing cancers of the stomach, esophagus etc.
The darker the colour, the greater health benefits.
Eat the rainbow and be healthy!🌈
Who don’t like the fruit with it’s creamy texture and fresh buttery taste? We all know that it is healthy as well! But what exactly do we know about avocados benefits?
Avocados are very nutritious and contain a wide variety of nutrients, including 20 different vitamins and minerals.
In 100g (approx. 1 small fruit):
Vitamin K: 26% of the RDA
Folate: 20% of the RDA
Vitamin C: 17% of the RDA
Potassium: 14% of the RDA
Vitamin B5: 14% of the RDA
Vitamin B6: 13% of the RDA
Vitamin E: 10% of the RDA
Fiber: 7 grams; 27% of RDA
Having 22g of fats in 100g of product, avocado can increase “fat soluble” (meaning that they need to be combined with fat in order to be utilized) nutrients absorption. This includes vitamins A, D, E and K… along with antioxidants like carotenoids. It is worth to mention that avocados are also high in antioxidants.
And of course avocados are very very tasty! 😋
Do you like avocado even more now?
Golden milk is my top drink for winter time. It is a spicy drink made of milk (dairy or non-dairy by your choice), turmeric powder and other spices, that ever your imagination and possibilities allows you to chose.
After long time of experiments and the method of poking, I personally prefer buckwheat or almond milk with turmeric powder, cinnamon or cardamom, orange zest or rose pepper, cayenne salt, Indonesian black pepper and honey.
Whats so good about turmeric?
Turmeric is a plant of ginger family, which contains curcumin. Curcumin is well known for plenty of benefits medical effect:
• Anti-inflammatory drugs
• Antidepressants (Prozac)
• Anticoagulants (Aspirin)
• Pain killers
• Diabetes drugs (Metformin)
• Arthritis medications
• Inflammatory bowel disease drugs
• Cholesterol drugs (Lipitor)
• Skin Care
1. Powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
2. Curcumin happens to be a potent antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals due to its chemical structure.
It also boosts the activity of the body’s own antioxidant enzymes and increases antioxidant capacity in body.
3. Curcumin boost brain activity.
It may be effective at delaying or even reversing many brain diseases and age-related decreases in brain function.
There is also the possibility that it could help improve memory and make you smarter.
4. Heart disease is the biggest killer in the world. Curcumin lowers risk of heart disease.
5. Researchers have been studying curcumin as a beneficial herb in cancer treatment. It can affect cancer growth, development and spread at the molecular level.
6. Incredible benefits against depression. According to a small study, curcumin might be an effective antidepressant. It also can boost the brain neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine.
- People with diabetes and iron deficiency should limit consumption of turmeric in food.
- Most of the curcumin doesn’t get absorbed and it just passes through your digestive tract. If you are looking for curcumin as supplement, choose one with bioperine (another name for piperine), which enhances absorption of curcumin by 2000%.
- Curcumin is fat soluble, so it may be a good idea to take it with a fatty meal.
- Curcumin content in turmeric is not that high. It’s around 3% by weight. If you are looking for strong medical effect from curcumin, you have to take additional supplement.
Despite all benefits, this drink is very tasty and good for warming up in a cold day.