Don’t you have chickpeas flour at home yet?
It helps me every time, when I need to make some warm dish, quick and simple. It is very high in protein, therefore very nourishing and great for feeding hungry man, even the army of hungry men!
These chickpeas pancakes got into the rotation in our house. Let me share one very useful practice, which helps me a lot, in order to objective measure of how the dish is awesome. Every time, when I cook something new, I ask my husband, the biggest “meat lover”, to rate it. We have applied our own rating system at home with score from 0 to 10. Usually, he rates my dishes from 7 to 10. These chickpeas pancakes were rated to 9, which is very good.
Chickpeas flour holds all ingredients together very well and it is very suitable for cooking flatbreads, flat pancakes, fritters and even pastry. No eggs are needed and it is also gluten-free flour, in fact. So many advantages to avoid using it.
Put it in any dish from scratch as fritters, falafels, pizzas, cutlets, baking things and actually use it to substitute eggs in most of recipes.
But I have to stop glorifying chickpeas flour now and introduce it to you with simple and very delicious pancakes recipe.
COURSE: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack
CUISINE: Plant-based, Vegan, Gluten-free
PREP TIME: 5 min
COOKING TIME: 15 min
SERVINGS: 1 (± 10 small pancakes)
CALORIES/pancakes: calories 380 (carbs 37 g *sugars 6 g, protein 14 g, fats 22 g)
CALORIES/filling: calories 200 (carbs 13 g *sugars 3 g, protein 4 g, fats 16 g)
Chickpeas flour – 50 g
Onion – 1/2 of medium (sweet type)
Garlic – 1/2 clove
Tomato pesto – 1 tbsp
Cilantro – few sprigs
Water – 100 ml
Sesame oil – 2 tsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Spices, salt – to taste
Avocado – 1/2 of medium (± 80 g)
Lime juice – 1 tbsp
Sesame seeds – 2 tsp
Herbs with salt – 1/2 tsp
Cherry tomatoes – 5 pieces
Cilantro – few sprigs
- Mix all ingredients for pancakes (chickpeas flour, cut onion, garlic, tomato pesto, cilantro and spices) in a bowl. Add water, baking powder and whisk all together.
- Grease your pre-heated pan with sesame oil and bake a small pancakes using 1 tbsp of dough for each, approx. 1 minute each side until slightly toasty.
- Prepare filling by mashing avocado with a fork, then add lime juice and herbs and mix all together with a fork.
- Arch each pancake and place side-by-side one to another. Fill pancakes with mashed avocado spreading the volume equally between all pancakes. (watch the video).
- Garnish dish with toasted sesame seeds, cherry tomatoes and fresh cilantro.