- I fell in love with pancakes lately. It might be spring or just my recent awareness of how easy it is to make pancakes and how big are scopes for experiments here.
You can make pancakes from any grains and seeds that you have at home by using blender. You can mix them with each other in different combinations just following one rule: always use at least one “thickening” ingredient, so your pancakes do not fall apart. Of course, only in case if you are not using eggs in the recipe.
Let me give you some ideas for “thickeners” you can use in your savory or sweet pancakes:
! Chia seeds, grind flax seeds, raw buckwheat (green), oats, chickpea flour or liquid from can, coconut flour.
I have just published blog post about black rice nutrition values and benefits, but it is worth to remind you about this powerful plant again. If you are interested in its benefits please read about it in my previous blog post here.
COURSE: Breakfast, Dessert
CUISINE: Plant-based, Vegan, Gluten-free
PREP TIME: 10 min
COOKING TIME: 20 min
CALORIES /pancakes: 381 calories (carbs 47g *sugars 5g, protein 7,5g, fats 19g)
/sauce: 154 calories (carbs 20g *sugars 14g, protein 2g, fats 9g)
Black rice – 50 g (of uncooked)
Chia seeds – 1 tbsp
Sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
Water – 150 ml
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Coconut oil – 1 tsp + 1 tsp (for baking)
Coconut sugar – 1 tsp (use any other sugar as alternative)
Salt – pinch
Frozen raspberries – 70g
Walnuts – 3 halves
Walnut oil – 1 tsp
Molasses – 2 tsp (or any other sweetener)
Cayenne pepper – pinch
! For more servings multiply the ingredients by the number of portions.
- Make a flour by blending black rice, chia and sesame seeds in food processor.
- Add baking powder, 1 tsp of coconut oil, coconut sugar and water, and blend it until smooth. Add some more water if you the consistency is too sticky.
- Bake a small pancakes using 1 tbsp of dough for each.
- To make a sauce put all the ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth.
Serve pancakes hot with raspberry sauce, nut butter and berries on top. I like to add something crunchy as well, for example, cacao nibs or hemp seeds.
I am still making experiments everyday to find new great ideas for pancakes. Most of all I liked so far quinoa-oat pancakes and savory version of buckwheat and pea protein pancakes.
Please share with me your creations. I will be happy to hear your ideas!