Golden milk is my top drink for winter time. It is a spicy drink made of milk (dairy or non-dairy by your choice), turmeric powder and other spices, that ever your imagination and possibilities allows you to chose.
After long time of experiments and the method of poking, I personally prefer buckwheat or almond milk with turmeric powder, cinnamon or cardamom, orange zest or rose pepper, cayenne salt, Indonesian black pepper and honey.
Whats so good about turmeric?
Turmeric is a plant of ginger family, which contains curcumin. Curcumin is well known for plenty of benefits medical effect:
• Anti-inflammatory drugs
• Antidepressants (Prozac)
• Anticoagulants (Aspirin)
• Pain killers
• Diabetes drugs (Metformin)
• Arthritis medications
• Inflammatory bowel disease drugs
• Cholesterol drugs (Lipitor)
• Skin Care
1. Powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
2. Curcumin happens to be a potent antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals due to its chemical structure.
It also boosts the activity of the body’s own antioxidant enzymes and increases antioxidant capacity in body.
3. Curcumin boost brain activity.
It may be effective at delaying or even reversing many brain diseases and age-related decreases in brain function.
There is also the possibility that it could help improve memory and make you smarter.
4. Heart disease is the biggest killer in the world. Curcumin lowers risk of heart disease.
5. Researchers have been studying curcumin as a beneficial herb in cancer treatment. It can affect cancer growth, development and spread at the molecular level.
6. Incredible benefits against depression. According to a small study, curcumin might be an effective antidepressant. It also can boost the brain neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine.
- People with diabetes and iron deficiency should limit consumption of turmeric in food.
- Most of the curcumin doesn’t get absorbed and it just passes through your digestive tract. If you are looking for curcumin as supplement, choose one with bioperine (another name for piperine), which enhances absorption of curcumin by 2000%.
- Curcumin is fat soluble, so it may be a good idea to take it with a fatty meal.
- Curcumin content in turmeric is not that high. It’s around 3% by weight. If you are looking for strong medical effect from curcumin, you have to take additional supplement.
Despite all benefits, this drink is very tasty and good for warming up in a cold day.